Sunday, April 19, 2009

Firearms Discussion - Pistols & Shotguns

Firearms Discussion
by: www.SpecialOperationsCourse.com

This week I was discussing firearms with a couple Agents and thought I’d give a summary of that talk in this week’s blog.

My preferred handgun: Still the Glock. One of the people I was talking to this week didn’t like Glock’s though. He preferred Sig Sauer. We went back and forth. I like the reliability and durability of the Glock while he prefers the comfort & accuracy of his Sig.

Well, in the Military I was issued two pistols. The first was a Beretta and the second (while assisting MPI) was a Sig. Both were good until I had to roll around on the ground or accidentally smack a bad guy with them.  In both cases I learned that these two weapons were not as durable as I needed.

My Glock has been through hell and back and only failed me once. (broken sear)

My preferred shotgun: My favorite is a Maverick 12 gauge pistol grip that I owned back when I was full time. For me, this was the most comfortable weapon and my accuracy from many positions… in many environments… was expert level. Now, when I teach Bodyguarding courses… I mention how I also like the 20 gauge. As a matter of fact… if I’m purchasing Shotguns for a Residential EP Team, I’ll only buy 20 gauges. Obviously I’ll ensure the choke & ammunition is appropriate for good knock down power. (twice that of a .45 caliber handgun). Why the 20 gauge? I need to know that my smallest agent or an agent who has been injured… has the highest probability of shooting accurately while using a shotgun. It’s been my observation that the 20 gauge is a better choice then the 12 gauge for most people when they’re at their worst.

Shotguns I’ve used as an Agent:

1. Maverick 88 (12 gauge) pistol grip

2. Mosberg model 590

3. Winchester model 1200

4. HK Benelli M3 Super 90

Shotgun laws in different Countries:

1. Canada = Restricted in most cases (there is a super long barrel exception)

2. UK = Shotgun certificate required

3. USA = Different states have different rules regarding magazine capacity and/or barrel length

At the end of the day, the weapons you use will be your choice. Ensure you practice & train with many different types. That way you can make an educated decision about which one will be the best FOR YOU.

************************************************************
Brian K. Allen is a coach, trainer and entrepreneur in Arizona. For
FREE Bodyguard info, goto this site and request the FREE module:
http://www.TheBodyguardCourse.com/
************************************************************

No comments: